The dairy-free, gluten free turkey burgers that can be eaten as-is
OMG Kitchen took them from Skinny Taste and left out the cheese. I took them from OMG Kitchen and swapped out the bread crumbs. Sounds like the making of a Led Zeppelin song? Except this one is named Buffalo Turkey Burgers. And I’m giving OMG Kitchen all the credit.
Unlike normal hamburgers, these burgers are good without a bunch of toppings. They’re full of flavor and texture. Shredded carrots and onions will do that. Both times I’ve had ’em, they’ve been sans bun.
Evolution to gluten-free and dairy-free
First, Olivia and Matt from OMG Kitchen first made these. A couple nights later, I made ’em for Nick and Andrea. A few nights after that, I made ’em again. That was late in 2013.
Most recently, Spring of 2014, I’ve made double batches. Lunch, dinner and late night snacks for the entire week!
They’re also great because of the ingredients needed. There are so few. Besides buying the ground turkey, pretty much everything else is a kitchen staple.
Other Noteworthy Versions
- Skinny Taste: Cheesy version
Useful tips for Buffalo Turkey Burgers
The ground turkey mixture is naturally sticky. Use a little extra virgin olive oil or spray on your hands when making the patties.
They’re good served with the Kale Brussel Sprout Salad or just some simple skewers.
Chop the carrots and onions in your high-speed blender. Hit pulse 5 or 10 times, per my onion chopping demo.
I made the patties right at the grill. Saved time and several dirty dishes.
Rotate the turkey burgers 90 degrees after 5 minutes. That gives them the intersecting grill lines.
Nudging them clockwise (as pictured) worked much better than scooping from the bottom.
Tasty and easy buffalo turkey burgers.
- ground turkey - 1 lb 93% lean
- carrots - 1 cup, chopped
- onion - 1/2 whole, chopped
- tortilla chips - 1/2 cup ground
- frank's red hot sauce - 1/4 cup
- almond milk - 1/4 cup
- extra virgin olive oil - 1/8 cup
- salt - few shakes
- pepper - few shakes
- garlic powder - few shakes
- onion powder - few shakes
- extra virgin olive oil spray
- Throw ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix by hand (put a drop of extra virgin olive oil in your hand so it’s not so sticky)
- Make patties (grab a 1/5th and make a ball, then flatten a bit)
- Spray grill with oil spray (so not sticky)
- Cook on medium heat for 5-7 minutes on each side