Smoked Salmon on a Stick
Little lox finger food is always a welcome appetizer. This recipe is made with smoked salmon on cucumber with arugula, goat cheese and a cherry tomato. Great to bring to a party. Also, perfect for a quick lunch or dinner.
These little apps are like a skewers for non-meat eaters. Or are they like riceless pieces of sushi on a toothpick? Whatever they are, the texture and blend of flavors is TDF (to die for).
If you’re new to using smoked salmon, it’s served cold. Don’t worry because the ‘smoking’ process effectively make sit cooked.
Where to Buy Smoked Salmon
Get smoked salmon at any grocery store. It’s generally near the meat and fish section, always refrigerated. It’s usually labeled as smoked salmon, but anyone working in the store will know what you mean if you say “lox”.
Smoked salmon comes in several different varieties. Alaskan, Wild and Sockeye are just a few. They’re all basically the same. It depends how much you care about wild-caught vs farm raised. Then, pick a couple and decide which you like better.
How the Mini Lox Skewers were Invented
Ever wonder what to do with leftover smoked salmon? Make mini lox skewers. That’s what I did. I had some lox that was about to go bad and I just got creative. Lox goes well with any salad ingredient, so I started there.
I had smoked salmon in my apartment because it’s delicious and, aside from the sodium, pretty healthy. Lots of good protein, omega 3 fatty acids and a good addition to egg white omelets.
Little lox finger food on cucumber with arugula, goat cheese and a cherry tomato. Great finger food for a party. Also, perfect for a quick lunch or dinner.
- cherry tomatoes
- goat cheese
1. Slice the cucumbers.
2. Put a little goat cheese on the sliced cucumbers.
3. Cut small pieces of lox (size of the cucumber)
4. Stab cherry tomatoes with toothpicks
5. On one hand, pick up a stabbed cherry tomato.
6. Stab a piece of lox
6. In the other hand, pinch a little arugula.
7. Put arugula on cucumber with hand from step 6 and stab toothpick (with tomato and lox) through arugula, goat cheese and cucumber with other hand in one smooth motion. You’ll get the hang of it.
8. Repeat steps 5-7.
9. Eat. Be happy. With friends.