A holiday cake for your fall family mealsAlmond Flour, Apples, Applesauce, Cinnamon, Flaxseed, Vanilla,
- apples (with skins) - 4-5 medium whole
- WET INGREDIENTS
- applesauce (unsweetened) - 2 cups
- oil (sunflower, vegetable, canola) - 1/2 cup
- vanilla extract - 2 tsp.
- DRY INGREDIENTS
- flax meal - 3 Tbsp.
- brown sugar - 1 cup
- whole wheat flour - 2 cups
- almond flour - 1 cup
- baking soda - 1 tsp.
- salt - 1/4 tsp.
- cinnamon - 2 Tbsp + 1 tsp.
- cinnamon & sugar - 2 Tbsp.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Wash and core apples (leave skins on)
- Put apples in Vitamix container, pulse on medium 5-8 times
- No Vitamix? Cut your apples into 1/2 inch cubes
- Pour into a mixing bowl
- Add the wet ingredients into the container (no need to wash)
- Blend on high for 30 seconds
- No Vitamix? Stir with a spoon until combined
- Add the dry ingredients to the container
- Blend on medium until combined (do not overmix)
- No Vitamix? Stir separately from wet ingredients, then add combine w/wet
- Pour into bowl with apples and mix until combined
- Grease the Bundt pan and sprinkle cinnamon and sugar on all sides
- Pour the batter into the pan
- Bake for 50-60 minutes
- Check with toothpick, if still goopy, cook for 5 min increments
- When in doubt, undercooked is better for this recipe
- Let cool before flipping cake upside down on serving plate
- Sprinkle with cinnamon & sugar
- Snap a pic and tag #lifeisNOYOKE
- Shana tovah!
Useful tips for Apple Cinnamon Cake
If possible, use tart apples in this recipe. Any apple will do, but those are the best. Leave the skins on, extra nutrition and texture (plus less work).
If you can’t find unsweetened applesauce, buy regular applesauce and use 1/4 cup less sugar.
With that said, this cake is not super sweet. We love it that way, but our taste buds have advanced away from sugary. If you want it sweet (and you want your kids to love it too), consider adding another 1/4 cup of brown sugar (or using sweetened applesauce).
Any oil will do, we used sunflower. You can also substitute all of the oil for another 1/2 cup of applesauce if you’d like to omit it altogether (just make sure to grease your pan very well if you do so).