Spruce up your bagel with vegan cream cheese and lox.Carrots, Cashews, Coconut Oil, Lemon, Nutritional Yeast,
- CREAM CHEESE
- cashews (soaked) - 1/2 cup (65 g)
- coconut oil (room temp) - 2 tsp. (9 g)
- lemon (no rind) - drink garnish size
- nutritional yeast - 1 tsp. (5 g)
- salt - 1/4 tsp. (1.5 g)
- water - 1 Tbsp. (15 mL)
- Optional: scallions or chives (chopped) - 1/4 cup (25 g)
- carrots (w/peels) - 2 large
- olive oil - 1 Tbsp.
- water - 1/2 cup
- soy sauce - 2 tsp.
- vegan worcestershire sauce - 1 tsp.
- liquid smoke - 1/2 tsp.
- kosher salt - 1 Tbsp.
- seaweed/nori - 1 sheet
- bagel - 2 whole
- cucumber - 1/4 whole
- red onion - 2 slices
- capers - 2 tsp.
- Soak your cashews overnight if possible (if not, soak em in hot water now)
- Add all ingredients into 8 oz Vitamix container
- (If you’re using a larger container, you’ll have to quadruple the batch)
- Blend on low for 15-20 seconds
- Ramp to high and blend until smooth
- Mix in chives or scallions with a spoon
- Preheat oven to 400 F
- Line a baking pan with parchment paper
- Grease carrots with olive oil
- Bake on 400 F for 30-40 min, until soft but not mushy
- While baking, mix together marinade
- Take out carrots and let cool
- Once cool, slice w/a mandolin or peeler (you want uneven pieces)
- Put the carrot slices and marinade in a plastic bag, seal and refrigerate
- Let marinade for at least 30 minutes, but several hours is more ideal
- Construct bagel as you would with “normal” cream cheese and lox
- Spread with cream cheese, pile on the lox
- Top w/the good stuff (we like ours with cucumbers, red onion, and capers)
- Snap a pic and tag #lifeisNOYOKE
Useful tips for Cashew Cream Cheese (+vegan lox)!
The recipe for lox was adapted from My Darling Vegan’s blog (linked below). We made a couple of tweaks, and are going to continue perfecting this recipe. But the most important thing is this: the longer it marinades, the better!
This is a recipe for 2 people (although you’ll have some lox leftover). You’ll need to make more cream cheese if you are not using the 8 oz. Vitamix container like we did here. Just make sure to prep some extra lox to match your cream cheese ratio 🙂
Classic worcestershire sauce is not vegan. Make sure to check the ingredients. Annie’s Naturals says vegan on the bottle, that’s what we used.