This chili recipe won grand prize at the 2012 Rose Bowl Chili Cook-off. Easy to make and has one secret ingredient.
- vegan crumbled meat - 1 lb
- white kidney beans - 1 can
- black beans - 1 can
- diced tomatoes - 2 cans (14.5 oz each)
- tomato paste - 1 can (6 oz each)
- hot Mexican chili powder - 1 Tbsp.
- onion powder - 1 tsp.
- cinnamon - 1/2 tsp.
- almond milk - 1/8 cup
- multi grain chips - 1 cup (or any kind of tortilla chips that can be crushed, just not Sun chips)
- beer - 1/2 cup (any lager will do)
- salt - to taste
- pepper - to taste
- jalapeno peppers - a few fresh ones (not crucial but makes it much better)
- extra virgin olive oil - 1 Tbsp.
- Chop jalapeno peppers (they’re fun to chop with a chef’s knife, but be careful not to rub your eyes after)
- Crush multi grain chips (blending them is easiest. my vitamix turns them into dust in two seconds)
- Add some extra virgin olive oil (1T) to large pan on medium heat.
- Cook meat crumbles with onion powder, salt, pepper for about 5 min.
- Add cooked meat and rest of the ingredients to a dutch oven or crock pot.
- Mix around and cook for 30 minutes or so.
- Enjoy with friends.
- Be happy.
NOTE: This recipe was posted before veganizing the site. It won the chili contest with ground turkey, but is great with vegan meat crumbles or without. Try it with some Beyond Meat!
Useful tips for Five Alarm Chili