Louisiana gumbo made from scratch with help from your Vitamix.
- oil (any will do) - 1/8 cup
- flour - 1/4 cup
- vegan butter (or more oil) - 1 Tbsp.
- onion - 1/2 of a whole
- garlic - 4 cloves
- celery - 3 stalks
- green pepper (de-seeded) - 1/2 of a whole
- roma tomato - 4 whole
- vegan butter (or oil) - 1/5 Tbsp.
- vegetable broth - 2 cups
- worcestershire sauce - 1/8 cup
- parsley (fresh) - 1/4 cup
- paprika - 1/2 tsp.
- cayanne - 1/2 tsp.
- thyme - 1/2 tsp.
- salt & pepper - to taste
- vegan chicken - 1/2 lb.
- vegan sausage - 1/2 lb.
- white rice - 3 cups
- green onions - 4 stalks
- Heat the oil in a large pan with a lid
- Add flour and stir
- Add the “butter”
- Continue stirring until browned (took 7 min for us)
- Let cool
- Chop the vegetables into small pieces using your Vitamix
- Pulse on low speed for a couple of seconds each
- Add to pan with roux once all chopped
- Add more “butter” and cook for 5 minutes
- Add the broth, worcestershire parsley and spices
- Chop your okra by hand and add to the mixture
- Turn to medium heat and cover
- Cook for 20 minutes
- Chop your meats by hand or in the Vitamix
- Add them to the vegetable mixture
- Cover and keep cooking for another 20 minutes
- Serve over fluffy white rice directly from the pot
- Garnish with green onions
- Snap a pic and tag #lifeisNOYOKE
Useful tips for Louisiana Gumbo
START TO FINISH GUMBO IN YOUR VITAMIX:
- Cook rice and any meat you plan to add.
- Cut vegetables (and meat if you’re using it) into pieces no larger than golf balls.
- Add broth to your container.
- Add vegetables and seasoning.
- Start on Variable Speed 1 and ramp up to Variable Speed 10, then High.
- Run on High for 5 – 6 minutes (until contents are hot).
- Turn Vitamix down to Variable Speed 2.
- Remove lid plug.
- Add meats and rice and blend for about 5 seconds (until pieces are chopped).
MORE AUTHENTIC RECIPE (with help from your Vitamix) BELOW.
Chop your okra by hand, you want the classic wheel-shape to be visible in your gumbo. You can buy okra in the freezer section if you can't find it fresh.