Rich and complex, vegan, mushroom gravy
- olive oil - 2 T (30 ml)
- white onion - 1 whole, chopped
- mushrooms - 1 large handful (about 1 cup or 240 ml)
- garlic - 5 cloves, chopped
- rosemary - a healthy amount (about 1/8 cup or 30 ml)
- red wine - a splash (1/4 cup or 60 ml)
- vegetable broth - 1 1/2 cups (360 ml)
- soy sauce - 1/4 cup (60 ml)
- tapioca flour - 2 T (30 ml)
- salt and pepper - to taste
- Sautee onions for a few minutes.
- Add mushrooms.
- Cook for 10 minutes.
- Add garlic, rosemary.
- Cook for a couple minutes.
- Add everything else.
- Simmer for 10 more minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add 75% of the gravy to your blender.
- Blend on high for 5 minutes.
- Add remaining 25% of unprocessed gravy.
Useful tips for Mushroom gravy
First, and most importantly, this recipe ought to be made to taste. Nothing needs to be measured perfectly, except for maybe the tapioca starch.
Most gravy recipes require you slow cook and reduce corn starch to make a paste. We’re skipping that step and letting the Vitamix do the thickening for us.
Keep 25% of the vegetable mixture unblended for a bit of texture.