This vegan mushroom gravy is fab
Is gravy a sauce? Is it its own category?
This vegan mushroom gravy is super, duper delicious. And with one pan and a Vitamix to finish it, you got yourself some gourmet gravy.
What’s this gravy good for? Glad you asked.
[Note: This recipe is essentially this awesome wild mushroom gravy from The Clean Dish. We just simplified things a bit and adjusted for preferred results.]
Put this gravy on anything
This gravy is rich in vegetables and blended in a Vitamix. So if you wanted to drink it with a straw you could call it a smoothie.
Just go make it, woulda ya? It’s really, really tasty.
And be sure to tag #lifeisNOYOKE. We love cheering you on.
Useful tips for Mushroom gravy
First, and most importantly, this recipe ought to be made to taste. Nothing needs to be measured perfectly, except for maybe the tapioca starch.
Most gravy recipes require you slow cook and reduce corn starch to make a paste. We’re skipping that step and letting the Vitamix do the thickening for us.
Keep 25% of the vegetable mixture unblended for a bit of texture.
Rich and complex, vegan, mushroom gravy
- olive oil - 2 T (30 ml)
- white onion - 1 whole, chopped
- mushrooms - 1 large handful (about 1 cup or 240 ml)
- garlic - 5 cloves, chopped
- rosemary - a healthy amount (about 1/8 cup or 30 ml)
- red wine - a splash (1/4 cup or 60 ml)
- vegetable broth - 1 1/2 cups (360 ml)
- soy sauce - 1/4 cup (60 ml)
- tapioca flour - 2 T (30 ml)
- salt and pepper - to taste
- Sautee onions for a few minutes.
- Add mushrooms.
- Cook for 10 minutes.
- Add garlic, rosemary.
- Cook for a couple minutes.
- Add everything else.
- Simmer for 10 more minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add 75% of the gravy to your blender.
- Blend on high for 5 minutes.
- Add remaining 25% of unprocessed gravy.