The perfect mashed potato alternative
From school lunchrooms to fancy steak houses, this side dish is a staple.
Introducing: cauliflower mash. It’s creamy, steamy, and savory-starch deliciousness.
Ridiculously easy. Ridiculously good.
But I think its transformation is the best part.
Mesmerized by what a simple head of cauliflower can become
It looks and feels and tastes identical to the real thing (mash potatoes).
It’s great next to any main course. And, it’s one of those “sneaky” ways to get your pickiest eaters to eat some (non-potato) vegetables.
It’s definitely a Vitamix recipe, but an immersion blender works just fine.
I hope this cauliflower mash becomes a staple in your house as it has become one in ours.
P.S. A single image cannot do this gem justice. Watch the quick vid to see why.
Here’s how to make magic by turning a cauliflower into creamy “mash potatoes” (4:05)
- cauliflower - one large head
- garlic - 2-3 cloves
- olive oil - 1 Tbsp.
- almond milk - 1 Tbsp.
- salt and pepper - to taste
- chives (optional) - 1/4 cup
- Bring a large pot of water to boil
- Rinse the cauliflower
- Cut the cauliflower into small sections
- Boil the cauliflower with the lid on for 10 minutes
- Heat the oil in a small pan
- Saute the garlic cloves until brown
- Drain the cauliflower
- Add almond milk to blender
- Add garlic to blender
- Add cauliflower to blender
- Add salt and pepper to blender
- Blend on medium for 1-2 minutes until creamy
- Scoop into a serving bowl
- Top with chopped chives
Useful tips for Creamy Cauliflower Mash
Listen, no one needs to know this is cauliflower. Seriously, don’t tell anyone and see if they notice.
If you’ve got a really picky eater in the house (like my Dad), try making this recipe with half cauliflower/half potatoes. Then slowly wean them off the potatoes the next time you make it!
These are pretty bland (just like real mashed potatoes). So we like to top them with all of our favorites. Chives, red onions, truffle salt, and eventually a vegan gravy (once we work it out in the test kitchen).
UPDATE (11/18/16): Tested and perfected. Here’s our vegan mushroom gravy!