Hearty, hot, and healthy, vegan, sweet potato chorizo soup that's easy, pretty quick, and only requires one pot.
- MAIN SOUP INGREDIENTS
- soy chorizo - 12 oz. casing removed (I used vegan chorizo from Trader Joe's)
- sweet potatos - 2 large, peeled, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- vegetable broth - 8 cups
- diced tomatoes - 4 large tomatoes (or one 14-ounce can)
- salt - to taste
- cumin - dash
- avocado - 1 whole
- cilantro - a little bit, chopped
- lime - 1 whole
- BONUS INGREDIENT
- kale - a handful
PREP SWEET POTATOES:
- Peel sweet potatoes.
- Cut them into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Set aside.
Option 1: Dice with blender
- Cut tomatoes into quarters (two cuts).
- Add to blender container.
- Blend on low speed for 5-10 seconds.
- Use tamper as needed to push ingredients into blade.
Option 2: Dice by hand
- Add chorizo and cumin to medium-sized pot.
- Set pot over medium heat.
- Cook and stir with wood spoon for 5 minutes (until chorizo is cooked).
- Add vegetable broth, tomatoes, and sweet potatoes.
- Bring to boil.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 12 minutes (until sweet potatoes are cooked).
- Add avocado, chopped cilantro, lime juice on top of each bowl.
- Be happy.
Feel free to add a handful of kale when the soup is ready. The kale only needs a few minutes of cooking to soften up but still provide some texture.
Useful tips for 4-ingredient Mexican Sweet Potato Chorizo Soup
How long does it last?
This soup can last in the refrigerator for up to a week.
How to reheat?
To reheat, add a bit of vegetable broth or water.
Where do you get vegan chorizo?
We use the soy chorizo from Trader Joe’s. It’s full of flavor and, this is true, was voted best meat product by trader shoppers (even though it’s meat-free!).
What else would be good with this soup?
A dollop of our vegan sour cream would be delicious. Or, try it with a side of easy cornbread.