We have chorizo and sweet potatoes - can we make a soup?
That’s how it went down.
I had some vegan chorizo from Trader Joe’s I had been meaning to use. And, of course, a couple of sweet potatoes.
Fiancée found a version of this recipe and planned to make it for us for dinner. When she got home from work with the rest of the ingredients she got a text:
“We’re down the street getting a tattoo for Jen to celebrate her finalized divorce.”
So what did she do?
She did what any good friend would do. She put the other ingredients for this soup onto the counter and headed back out the door. Yup.
I knew it was going to be up to me to make this Mexican Chorizo Sweet Potato Soup.
Said "Easy", Looked Hard, was Easy
She was out being a good friend. I stayed in being a good fiancé.
I waited for the inevitable text.
“Baby, I’m going to be another 30 minutes. Can you get dinner started? Here’s the recipe.”
Time to be a hero.
For something I had NEVER made, it turned out perfectly.
And, no, it’s not a 5-minute, one pan dinner.
But it WAS easy to get everything together, start-to-finish. Just the right amount of easy. Just the right amount of basic, relaxing prep.
Perfect thing to make if you’re looking to impress without a lot of effort.
And, of course, it was so, so good. A total winner we’ll for sure make again.
Here’s the Instagram, filter and all.
Other Noteworthy Versions
- Food Network: Original Inspiration
Useful tips for Mexican “Chorizo” Sweet Potato Soup
Serve HOT with a tall glass of water with lemon.
Hearty, hot, and healthy "chorizo" soup that's easy and pretty quick.
- Tortillas (optional)
- corn tortillas - 4 cut into strips (you could also use crumpled tortilla chips)
- oil - 2 Tbsp (I used sunflower oil)
- soy chorizo - 12 oz. casing removed (I used vegan chorizo from Trader Joe's)
- cumin - dash
- sweet potatos - 2 large, peeled, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- vegetable broth - 8 cups
- diced tomatoes - a 14 ounce can (we used canned but wish we would have used fresh)
- avocado - 1 whole
- cilantro - a little bit, chopped
- lime - 1 whole
- Medium sauce pan.
- Baking sheet.
- Potato peeler.
- Peel sweet potatoes.
- Cut them into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375
- Cut tortillas into strips.
- Throw on baking sheet.
- Toss with 1 T of oil.
- Spread ’em out on baking sheet.
- Bake for 12 minutes.
- Add 1 Tbsp oil, chorizo, and cumin to medium-sized pot.
- Set pot over medium heat.
- Cook and stir with wood spoon for 5 minutes (until chorizo is cooked).
- Add vegetable broth, tomatoes, and sweet potatoes.
- Bring to boil.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 12 minutes (until sweet potatoes are cooked).
- Add avocado, chopped cilantro, lime juice, and tortilla strips on top of each bowl.
- Be happy.