The Split Pea Soup That Will Make You a Believer
Split pea soup gets a bad wrap.
This one, though, is absolutely worthy of your bowl.
It’s full of protein, by nature. And it’s complex enough for adults while being sweet enough for kids.
It’s easy and quick, my friends. Go make it!
Split pea soup that will make you crave seconds.peas,
- carrots - 3 whole, diced
- celery - 3 sticks, diced
- (yellow) onion - 2 whole, diced
- butter - 1 Tablespoon (we used plant-based Miyoko's brand)
- dried peas - 2 cups
- vegetable broth - 2 quarts
- thyme - 1 teaspoon
- salt - 1 teaspoon
- pepper - to taste
- bay leaves - 2
- smokehouse-flavored, roasted almonds - 1/2 cup
- Dice veggies (optional — use dry chop method in your Vitamix to dice)
- Sautee over medium heat for 5 minutes
- Add rest of ingredients to pot
- Simmer for 60 minutes
- (optional) blend 30% of soup at Variable Speed 10 for 10 sesconds
- Add pureed soup back to remaining soup.
- Crush smokehouse-flavored, roasted almonds.
- Add to top of soup
Serve hot and enjoy!
Want step-by-step video instructions? Watch our Split Pea Soup Tutorial
Useful tips for Split Pea Soup
You can always add more salt and thyme.
Remember, we’re using dried peas. So they take a little while to cook through. We like the slightly chewy flavor and texture after cooking them for an hour. You can always cook for a bit longer if you prefer a smoother split pea soup.