Don't toss the guts of your fruit! Blend up a juice (like this) instead!
There are three reasons we decided to call this guts juice.
- You use the actual guts of a cantaloupe in the recipe.
- It takes guts to be comfortable drinking the part of a fruit you normally discard.
- The ingredients are great for digestion. Get it? It helps your gut!?
We could probably continue with the puns. But we’ll stop there.
Anyway, whole food juicing is an amazing way to “eat” healthy and stay full. It’s a nice rendition to making green juice in your blender.
Give this guts juice a try.
Because after all, healthy guts, healthy butts! 🙂
Waste not want not
Nothing is better (for you and the planet) than eating a plant-based diet and composting what you can. But we can go a step farther. Or as the teens put it now-a-days, you can be “extra”.
Food waste is a huge problem in the developed world. We throw away so much edible food. (30%, wow!)!
We waste food partly because we are picky about freshness. But also partly because we don’t know any better.
Broccoli stems? Awesome in soups! Kiwi skins? Edible! Cantaloupe guts? Blend em up!
We love having fresh fruit around the house. Melons especially. So when we found out the slimy middle part of a cantaloupe is not only edible but it’s actually where most of the nutrients are hiding, we were pretty excited.
They are packed with:
- Vitamix A, C and E
All of those things are exciting, but fiber is especially crucial for your gut health. Cantaloupe seeds specifically help flush out our systems. Yay!
We packed this whole food juice with other gut-healthy ingredients too.
- Cucumbers: flush toxins
- Mint: promotes digestion
- Lemon: alkalizes the body
Make yourself some of this gut juice! And feel good about not being wasteful (while regulating your waist!?).
A whole food juice that will keep your gut healthy
- water - 1 cup
- cucumber (with skin) - 1/2 whole
- mint - 1-2 stalks
- cantaloupe guts - from whole melon
- lemon (with peel) - 1/4 whole
- apple (with skin) - 1/2 whole
- ice - 2 cups
- Add all ingredients into blender container
- Ramp from variable speed 1 to 10
- Blend on high for 2 minutes
- Pour into a large glass
- Snap a pic and tag #lifeisNOYOKE
Useful tips for Guts Juice
Feel free to add greens to this recipe. A cup of spinach leaves is a great addition.
Cantaloupe guts have a stronger taste than cantaloupe itself does. If the taste it too strong for you, start with the guts of half a melon.