An easy, light tahini dressing to make in your Vitamix
These days, grocery stores sell every flavor of dressing. So why make your own?
No additives, no preservatives. (Was that four words? Or three?)
Here’s an awesome homemade dressing featuring tahini.
It’s incredibly easy to make, especially with your Vitamix. It uses simple, fresh ingredients and tastes better than anything you could find pre-bottled.
Why tahini is dressings is so great
Tahini is one of our favorite dressing ingredients. It’s a middle-eastern staple made from sesame seeds. The consistency most closely resembles that of natural peanut butter.
The flavor profile is mild, nutty, and a little bitter. Which makes it a perfect ingredient for a light dressing!
We have paired this dressing with a simple salad that is a part of our 7 course gluten-free, vegan Thanksgiving menu. The salad has honeycrisp apples, and candied walnuts over arugula and this tahini dressing is the star.
Useful tips for Tahini Dressing
To candy the walnuts without using butter (so the salad remains vegan) use:
1 cup of raw walnuts (150 g)
1/4 cup (45 g) brown sugar
1 tsp. (5 mL) salt
2 Tbsp. (30 mL) water.
Coat walnuts and then bake on a silpat mat for 15 minutes at 350 F (175 C) flipping once halfway through.
Keep them separated, they are sticky!
Honeycrisp apples are our favorite for the season (plus they were developed in Minnesota!), but you can use any crisp apple or even pears (as pictured).
A nutty, light vegan tahini dressing
- tahini - 1/2 cup (120 mL)
- olive oil - 1/2 cup (120 mL)
- dijon mustard - 1/4 cup (60 mL)
- maple syrup - 1/4 cup (60 mL)
- lemon juice - 2 Tbsp. (30 mL)
- garlic - 1-2 cloves
- salt & pepper - to taste
- Add ingredients in the order listed to your Vitamix container
- Blend on high for 1 min or until smooth
- Taste and add more garlic, salt or pepper based on preference
- Pour on salad of your choosing
- Snap a pic and tag #lifeisNOYOKE
- Store in airtight container in fridge for up to one week