Here's how to make the easiest, most decadent, vegan side-dish ever: Cauliflower au gratin
This recipe for cauliflower au gratin is easy, healthy, and quick.
Yes, it’s vegan, but nobody would (or needs to!) know.
Because it is deliciously decadent!
It’s perfect to quell your craving for mac and cheese.
Serve it to the family on a weeknight or to friends at a dinner party.
Just don’t hesitate.
Go make this cauliflower au gratin tonight.
And before you do, watch the video demo below.
Other Noteworthy Versions
- It Doesn't Taste Like Chicken: Melty Stretchy Gooey Vegan Mozarella
- Vedged Out: Fresh Moxarella Cheese
Useful tips for Cauliflower Au Gratin
Turn the oven to broil on high for the last 5 minutes. That way you get a crispy brown top just like potato au gratin.
Time the rest of your meal around this dish. It should be served piping hot, straight out of the oven for maximum bubbly effect.
If you’ve got a large brood, you can double this recipe and it will still fit in your 8″ x 11″ pan.
Bake and serve in individual ramekins for extra hostess points.
Delicious, vegan, steaming, "cheesy" goodness.
- hot water - 3/4 Cup
- nutritional yeast - 2 Tbsp
- tapioca starch/flour - 2 Tbsp
- cashews - 1/2 Cup, soaked overnight or boiled for 10 min
- lemon juice - 1 tsp, fresh or bottled
- salt - 1 1/2 tsp (seems like a lot, but trust me)
- onion powder - 1/2 tsp
- garlic powder - 1/2 tsp
- red pepper - 1/2 of a whole, rinsed, seeded, chopped
- cauliflower - One large head
- Soak cashews in water for 8 hours (or boil them for 10 min).
- Drain cashews.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Rinse cauliflower.
- Cut cauliflower into medium sized florets.
- Boil the cauliflower for 5 minutes.
- Drain cauliflower.
- Pour into large bowl.
- Add everything (but the cauliflower) to a blender.
- Blend on high for 1 minute.
- Pour the blender contents into a small pot.
- Stir over medium heat until the mixture thickens and becomes flexible/cheesy (takes anywhere for 3-7 minutes).
Note: If you have a Vitamix, blend on high for 4 minutes and skip steps 3 and 4. The Vitamix will “cook” the mixture (just like the NOYOKE Cashew Queso).
- Add the hot cheese to the cauliflower and carefully stir (try not to break up the florets).
- Pour into an 8″ x 11′ ungreased pan or individual oven-safe ramekins.
- Pop into the oven for 30 minutes at 375 degrees (turn to broil on high for the last 5 minutes).
- Serve bubbling right out of the oven.