My dairy-free, 4-ingredient queso dip really has a kick
I’m not sure which came first. My lactose intolerance or the elimination of dairy in my diet? Either way, I haven’t had cheese in ages. Until now! This Vitamix recipe I’m calling cashew queso is so good I could write a song about it. But I think that would be too cheesy.
Nutritional Yeast Discovery
Nutritional yeast is the main ingredient in this cashew queso dip. It’s used in most dairy-free cheese recipes. It looks kinda like powdered, dried cheese. And it tastes like it, too.
Alas, my journey to acquire nutritional yeast for this cashew queso recipe was not so easy.
This whole process, from idea to make this cashew queso to acquiring the nutritional yeast took six weeks.
The lesson? Go to Whole Foods for stuff.
Four ingredients, incredibly easy
There are a lot of dairy-free cheese recipes out there. I created one that is very minimalist. It turned out incredible! When I was offering samples to my friends, here’s what I heard:
- “Can you just leave the bowl with me?”
- “It has a serious kick. Wow!”
- “It’s not cheese, but who cares!”
But here was my personal favorite:
“I can’t eat that. I just lost 50 lbs and now eat super clean…Oh, really? It is super clean? Oh wow. Let me try!”
And everybody asked what was in it. Raw cashews, raw almonds, almond milk and nutritional yeast. That’s it! Mix that together with some simple spices and you’re done.
The best part? Clean up was really easy, too.
I freaking love this recipe for cashew queso. It is:
- Tasty as hell.
- Good hot or cold and days later.
- So, so easy to make and clean up.
So there you have it. This was my first dairy-free cheese. But certainly not the last!
Video: Here’s how to make it
Bonus: Watch me creating this recipe
Other Noteworthy Versions
- Detoxinista: Healthy queso dip
- Allyson Kramer: Quinoa and Black Beans with Cashew Queso
- Vegan Sparkles: Sizzling Veg Fajitas with Cashew Queso
Useful tips for Cashew Queso
Biggest takeaway from this recipe? Don’t hesitate to make it. Every day without it is a day without (dairy-free) cheese!
Here are some more useful tips:
The queso will thicken over time. Even just a few minutes after the initial blend, it will be much thicker. So, wash it the right way, if you can.
The nutritional yeast needs to say "nutritional." Any other type of yeast won't work. This non-GMO version from Whole Foods worked great.
It's really delicious over egg whites. Like, really.
I can't speak to dogs' ability to stomach this stuff. But Lucy liked it!
Dairy-free cheese dip with a kick!
- almond milk - 240 ml (1 cup)
- nutritional yeast - 60 ml (1/4 cup)
- raw almonds - 120 ml (1/2 cup)
- raw cashews - 120 ml (1/2 cup)
- red bell pepper - 1 whole, de-seeded obviously
- kosher salt - 10 ml (2 tsp)
- garlic powder - 3 ml (1/2 tsp) (couple cloves fresh garlic would work)
- onion powder - 10 ml (2 tsp) (or 1/2 onion, sautéed)
- crushed red pepper - a few shakes (to taste)
- Add liquid ingredients to your Vitamix.
- Then add rest of ingredients.
- Start blender on low, ramp to high.
- Blend on high for 5 minutes (or use preprogrammed ‘Soup’ setting).
- Snap a pic and tag #LifeisNOYOKE
- Be really happy.
Life is NOYOKE, by Shalva and Lenny Gale, is a Vitamix blog with vegan recipes and a weekly newsletter. When you use our links to Vitamix.com or Vitamix.ca and enter free shipping promotion code 06-007938, we get credit for purchases and earn a small commission. That helps support our mission of accelerating worldwide adoption of a plant-based diet and is greatly appreciated. Thank you.