This rich, decadent hot chocolate will keep you warm
It’s cold outside. There’s no way to escape winter.
Your only option is to stay inside and binge watch Netflix this weekend.
Might as well treat yourself and make this vegan Mexican hot chocolate.
It’s a little spicy, it’s a lot rich and it will absolutely keep you warm.
Most of my favorite childhood experiences included freezing nearly to death and then warming up with a mug of hot chocolate.
Ice skating, sledding, shoveling… all followed by hot chocolate.
It was like winter’s medicine. After a sip you’d suddenly feel warm and toasty.
But now I’m an adult (an adult that sticks to a mostly vegan diet at home). And it just doesn’t feel right to dump a packet of hot chocolate mix into some milk and microwave.
We’ve got this fabulous Vitamix living on our counter. So I decided to put it to work.
Adult hot chocolate here we come!
Spice it up!
Basic hot chocolate is delicious and I am still very much a fan.
But upgrading sounded more fun.
I’ve tried Mexican hot chocolate in various Chicago restaurant establishments, and it’s the perfect combo of spicy and sweet. Plus, it’s thicker than the traditional recipe and very very rich.
Now I just had to figure out how to make it vegan 🙂
After messing around in our kitchen, I think we’ve come up with a great recipe.
It’s creamy (without cream) and chocolatey.
Make some tonight, it’s the perfect thing to keep you warm.
Decadent, rich, spicy, hot chocolate.
- vanilla almond milk (unsweetened) - 1.5 cups (350 mL)
- coconut milk (full fat) - 1/4 cup (60 mL)
- cashews - 1/4 cup (30 g)
- chili powder - 1/4 tsp. (.65 g)
- cinnamon - 1/2 tsp. (1.3 g)
- maple syrup (pure) - 1 Tbsp. (25 g)
- chocolate chips (semi sweet) - 1/2 cup (88 g)
- salt - pinch
- Add all ingredients into Vitamix container
- Use preprogrammed soup setting or blend on high for 5-6 minutes
- Pour into mugs
- Snap a pic and tag #lifeisNOYOKE
- Stay warm!