A naturally sweet, green smoothie with carrots and kale (that's quite delicious)
Because they pack a major nutrient punch and because they are delicious!
And, of course, because I make one almost every morning. Helped me reach my “goal” before our wedding.
This one is easy, cheap, and packed with vitamins. Best part is, even your picky eaters will crave them!
Go make this Apple Carrot Kale smoothie in your Vitamix to jumpstart your morning.
An original that needed some updates (and love)
This apple carrot kale smoothie is one of the first green smoothies on this site. Here’s the original pic from 2009.
You wouldn’t believe the junk Lenny suggested putting in this drink. Here’s the original from the 2013 post via web.archive.org.
So you see why I had to say, “I’ll be the author on this post now.”
Anyway, we’ve given it a new photo shoot, veganized it, and confirmed the recipe’s results. We think it’s better than ever.
Hope you enjoy.
A healthy and naturally sweet green smoothieApple, Banana, Carrots, Kale,
- almond milk - 1 cup (240 mL)
- kale - 1 cup (65 g)
- apple (any variety) - 1/2 large with skin
- carrots - 1/2 cup (65 g) with skin
- frozen banana - 1 whole peeled
- ice - 3/4 cup (160 g)
- date (for more sweetness) - 1 whole
- flax, chia, hemp seed, etc - 1 Tbsp. (10 g)
- Add ingredients in order listed, liquid first, then soft ingredients, then hard, then frozen
- Ramp your Vitamix from variable speed 1 to high
- Use your tamper to push ingredients into blade (if necessary, it wasn’t for us).
- Blend on high for 60-90 seconds until homogenous
- Snap a pic and tag #lifeisNOYOKE
Useful tips for Apple Carrot Kale Smoothie
There’s lots of substitutions you can make here. Some suggestions:
Base: sub almond milk for coconut milk or green tea
Greens: sub kale for spinach or romaine
Texture: sub banana for frozen mango
Sweetener: totally optional, but can sub a date for agave or honey (if not strict vegan)
Seeds: use anything you have on hand, blend in or use for pretty (and healthy) topping
We used a yellow carrot so that the color of the green smoothie remained vibrant and not muddied. Yes, this is important to us because we put pictures of our smoothies all over the internet.
But it should be important to you because we taste with our eyes. If we detect a hint of “brown-ness” that smoothie is going down the drain! (See original pic above.)
Go make yourself (and your family) an Apple Carrot Kale Smoothie and then tomorrow try Carolyne’s Green Smoothie! Another fan favorite 🙂