You should go make this vegan chocolate chip banana bread
Originally I had a placeholder for this part of the post. It went like this:
“This is where I’ll get really excited about this banana bread because it’s so damn good. And because my beautiful fiancée made it for me.”
How could I possibly more accurately and succinctly introduce this recipe? Can’t.
So let’s dive into some background behind this vegan chocolate chip banana bread recipe (that’s Vitamix friendly!), shall we?
My grandma would be proud
Banana bread to me is comfort food. Why?
All of the matriarchal figures in my life made it. Grandma, Nana, Bubbie (I’m pretty sure), and Mah.
I remember that Grandma Zelda (who has her pickle recipe on this site), ALWAYS had a banana bread in her freezer. Two, actually; one with and one without chocolate chips. (The latter version I will never understand.)
Anyways, this was Shalva’s first attempt at making banana bread for me. And, for the record, it’s the best I’ve ever had. (Perhaps, the greatest of all time.)
At first, I thought admitting this would make the matriarchal figures in my life upset. But I’m certain they’d agree with me. And most certainly, they’d be proud.
Go make this and tag us (#lifeisnoyoke) when you do. But remember, you have a small window of opportunity to take pictures like this:
Because you won’t be able to resist slicing thick pieces and enjoying the heck out of it.
Video (2:40): BANANA BREAD – Blending Buddies
Other Noteworthy Versions
- Veg Recipes of India: Banana Bread Eggless Vegan Recipe
A vegan take on a classic family recipe for banana bread.Banana, Cinnamon, Vanilla,
- bananas (over-ripe) - 4 medium
- sunflower oil - 1/2 cup (120 mL)
- coconut sugar - 1/2 cup (75 g)
- vanilla extract - 1 tsp. (5 g)
- cinnamon - 1 tsp. (2.6 g)
- whole wheat flour - 1.5 cups (172 g)
- baking powder - 1.5 tsp. (6 g)
- baking soda - 1/2 tsp. (2 g)
- vegan chocolate chips - 1/2 cup (88 g)
- Preheat oven to 350F (175 C)
- Grease loaf pan
- Add peeled bananas, oil, sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon to Vitamix container.
- Ramp from variable speed 1 to 10.
- Blend for 15-30 seconds until mixed evenly.
- Mix flour, baking powder, and baking soda into a large bowl.
- Pour the contents of the Vitamix blender into the bowl.
- Fold wet mixture into the dry mixture (do not over-mix).
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour into pan evenly.
- Bake at 350F (175C) for 30-45 minutes (until toothpick comes out clean).
- Let cool for 15 minutes.
- Slice & serve.
- Snap a picture and tag #lifeisnoyoke
Useful tips for Vegan chocolate chip banana bread
This recipe is absolutely delicious as-is, but you can feel free to substitute and it will be just as good:
– use any kind of oil (coconut, grapeseed, olive, etc.)
– use any kind of sugar (brown, white, etc.)
– use any kind of flour (almond, oat, gluten free all purpose, etc)
– use any kind of mix-ins (nuts, sunflower seeds, raisins, etc)
– if skipping mix-ins, coat the top with a mixture of cinnamon and sugar
Carefully watch the time on this. Undercooked is better than overcooked. Set the timer for 30 min and then check on it every 5 minutes until done. If the crust is browning and the middle is still gooey, cover in aluminum foil until cooked more thoroughly.
No need for a hand mixer or to get your KitchenAid out of the cabinet, your Vitamix can mix up this batter like a pro! Pictured is the low-profile 64 ounce container that came with our Vitamix Pro 750 (the ones that live on our counter and use several times daily).
Once you've mixed the banana base, gently fold into your dry ingredients. Be careful not to over-mix, just incorporate the ingredients.