How to Make Healthy Fried Rice Using Cauliflower
Like fried rice? Well, who doesn’t?
But that bloated feeling you get when you’re done?
Here’s a version that looks and tastes like the real thing: Cauliflower Fried Rice.
That’s right. Cauliflower instead of rice. And it’s even easier to make than the real thing.
Comfort Food that Doesn't Make you Uncomfortable
Something about a hot bowl of fried rice. It’s so dang good.
But when you swap out the rice for cauliflower, you get a dish that:
- Fills you up without making you bloated.
- Goes amazingly well with other Chinese Food.
- Lasts for days as leftovers (unlike rice that gets hard and inedible).
Add this to your repertoire, people.
It took me four tries to get it just right.
Follow the simple instructions below, and you’ll nail it on the first try.
It’s Cauliflower Fried Rice.
Video demo: How to “Rice” Cauliflower with Your Vitamix
Useful tips for Cauliflower Fried Rice
If you're adding any extra protein (like tofu or a Beyond Meat-type of thing) cook this first. Why? Cooking these produces a lot of moisture. Moisture you want to keep out of the end product. Nobody likes a soggy mess.
When they're done, put the protein off to the side. We'll add it back to the mix later.
Other non-cauliflower vegetables go next, together.
Chop the cauliflower into rice-sized pieces. You can use a knife, a grater, or take the shortcut like us and use your Vitamix (to chop the cauliflower) to chop it all in three seconds.
Here's the key to making this recipe work: DO NOT OVERCOOK THE CAULIFLOWER.
You basically just want to make the cauliflower hot and soften it up a bit.
Getting to the top of the cauliflower fried rice mountain only takes about five or six minutes. And once you're at the top, the ledge is steep.
I mean, one step past "done" and the dish is dead.
You'll think adding more oil and cooking it longer will make it crispy or closer to the correct rice texture. Nope.
After five or six minutes, more cooking means more soggy. Soggy cauliflower fried rice leads to a very unimpressed first-time taster. And it may ruin them forever.
So add your sauce, heat it up and be done. The natural texture of cauliflower is like cooked rice.
Don't be afraid to stuff your face. Cauliflower Fried Rice is incredibly low in calories (not that anybody is counting). And, it's full of vitamins, nutrients, blah blah blah.
Go make this tonight! And don't forget to show off your work using #lifeisnoyoke !
A lean body version of fried rice. Filling comfort food that doesn't make you full.
- cauliflower - 1 head, chopped
- baby carrots - 1 cup, chopped (128 g)
- edamame - 1 cup (155 g)
- OTHER VEGGIES: peas/corn/broccoli - 1/2 cup (90 g)
- onion - 1/2 a whole, chopped
- oil - 2 Tbsp. (30 mL)
- soy sauce - 3 Tbsp. (45 mL)
- (optional) rice wine vinegar - 1 Tbsp. (15 mL)
- Chop cauliflower into rice-like pieces. (We use my our Vitamix for this)
- Chop carrots into dime-sized pieces.
- Place a large skillet on medium heat.
- Add half the oil.
- Cook carrots until decently soft (5 minutes or so).
- Add rest of oil.
- Add other non-cauliflower vegetables.
- Sautee for another few minutes until completely cooked.
- Add the chopped cauliflower, soy sauce and optional extras.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Stop cooking after five minutes.
- For real. Stop.
- Unless you want soggy city.
- And they don’t serve rice there.
- They only serve soggy vegetables.
- Serve with nothing else.
- Be happy.