Creamy coleslaw that's vegan and great for making in your Vitamix
Creamy coleslaw is traditionally loaded with mayonnaise and made in a food processor.
If you’ve been around here for a while, you can probably guess what we did with that.
But first, a little insight into how deli coleslaw is actually made.
I've seen how the coleslaw "sausage" is made
What if you saw how your favorite deli made its creamy coleslaw? Would you ever eat it again?
I worked in a kosher-style deli in high school. There, I saw how coleslaw is made.
There are two less-than-romantic parts about how it’s made:
First is the ingredients. Cabbage and carrots followed by buckets of mayo.
Second secret to deli-made creamy coleslaw is how it’s mixed. With everything in a giant plastic bin, someone mixes all the ingredients by hand. (Think picking up a huge pile of wet leaves over and over.)
The latter isn’t a huge deal. It’s the reality of making coleslaw for the masses.
The former, however, is less than ideal.
So we veganized it. And, we used whole food ingredients (instead of using the more convenient, but less healthy, Just Mayo).
This coleslaw is delicious and well worth the tiny bit of effort. Fresh, tasty, and impressive.
Go make it!
Useful tips for Creamy Coleslaw
Use your Vitamix to chop the cabbage and carrots. It’s super easy.
- Add a small amount to your container.
- Pulse on Variable Speed 1.
- Use the tamper to keep things bouncing around.
- Place processed vegetables in a bowl.
Here’s a fifteen second video showing what I mean.
Another tip: Coleslaw on sandwiches is incredible. (It’s like lettuce but more flavorful!) Plus, you save time not having to add other condiments!
Creamy coleslaw. Mayo free!
- green cabbage - 1/2 whole
- carrot (peeled) - 1 large
- apple cider vinegar - 1/4 cup
- extra virgin olive oil - 1/4 cup
- dijon mustard - 1 Tbsp.
- lemon (with peel) - 1/2 whole
- cashews (raw) - 1/3 cup
- coconut sugar - 1 tsp.
- pepper - to taste
- salt - to taste
- Blend your cabbage in three stages
- Place first 1/3 into container
- Pulse on 1 using the tamper to push into the blade
- Pour into bowl when desired consistency reached
- Look for any large pieces that may have been missed
- Put those back in the container
- Repeat steps 2-6
- Cut carrot into fourths, put all into container
- Repeat steps 3 and 4
- Add all ingredients into container
- Ramp from variable speed 1-10
- Blend on high until smooth
- Toss your slaw in the dressing
- Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 5 days
- Snap a pic and tag #lifeisNOYOKE