A vegan chili that's loaded with protein (and flavor!)
This vegan chili has exactly what you want:
- No meat.
- Lots of protein.
- Mouthwatering flavor (that’s good immediately as well as reheated days later!).
It’s Parental Lentil Chili and it’s so good, your people will ask for it by name.
No meat, no problem
Chili purists be damned. This Lentil Chili is a champion (despite not yet winning a chili cook-off like our more bean-heavy, beer-enhanced 5-alarm chili). It has:
- Complex flavors.
- Varied consistency.
- A foundation thats delicious as-is (but that’s worthy of some added spiciness).
Really guys, it’s just great chili. And the best part?
Side note on cruelty-free chili: South Park S5E4
I can’t write about cruelty-free chili without talking about one of the all-time greatest episodes of South Park: Scott Tenorman Must Die.
(Stop reading now and watch the episode if you haven’t already seen it.)
What’s the connection?
You know the feeling you got knowing what’s in Scott’s chili? That nauseous, uneasy feeling in your stomach?
That’s how practicing vegans feel about eating chili made with meat.
So this chili is made with lentils. No parentals.
Go make this chili. It’s delicious, lasts for days (easy meal planning!), and is really simple to throw together. Make some and show off your work with #lifeisnoyoke !
- olive oil - 2 Tbsp. (30 mL)
- onion (chopped) - 1 whole
- garlic - 3 cloves
- red pepper (chopped) - 1 whole
- vegetable broth - 4 cups (235 mL)
- chili powder - 1 Tbsp. (8 g)
- cinnamon - 1/2 tsp. (1.5 g)
- salt - 1/2 tsp. (3 g)
- diced tomatoes - 2 - 15 oz cans (2 - 411 g cans)
- lentils (rinsed) - 1 cup (200 g)
- quinoa (rinsed) - 1/2 cup (85 g)
- Add oil, onion, garlic, and red pepper to a large pot
- Sauté on medium heat for 5 minutes
- Add broth, spices, tomatoes, lentils, and quinoa
- Cover and reduce head to low
- Cook for 30 minutes
- Check consistency of lentils, you want them a bit chewy
- Take off heat and let cool for 10 minutes
- Take 3 cups of your chili mixture and add them to your Vitamix container
- Blend on high for 30 seconds
- Add back into chili mixture on stove
- Reheat for 5-10 minutes (if mixture is too thick, add more broth)
- Serve piping hot from the stove
- Top with our vegan sour cream and cilantro
- Snap a pic and tag #lifeisNOYOKE
Useful tips for Easy Lentil Chili