This red velvet shake is a special breakfast treat
Got a birthday coming up?
Ask someone that loves you to make you this milkshake.
It’s got the classic red velvet flavor minus all of the junk. No cake mix, no food dye, no ice cream, no dairy.
We’re not going to call it healthy… but it sure aint bad!
Plus it will make you feel special first thing in the morning (even if you make it for yourself!).
Mix it up a little, make a cake shake!
Sometimes you just want a little something special. Especially if you blend almost every morning.
Ya gotta mix it up, keep everyone on their toes.
We’ve got a few smoothies and shakes that fit the bill:
- Fancy Wedding Cake Smoothie (the kind we had at our wedding: pistachio, lavender & lemon)
- The Blubarb Smoothie (tastes like blue ribbon blueberry/rhubarb pie)
- The Raspberry Lemonade Shake (also a little bit like wedding cake)
But I’m kind of a bakery junkie. And one of my favorites has always been red velvet (specifically in cupcake form).
To recreate the flavor (and maybe even more importantly, the color) we used frozen cherries and unsweetened cocoa powder.
It was surprisingly delicious without having to use cake mix (which a lot of the recipes online do… gross) or any dairy. We also wanted to stay away from anything artificial and think we got it pretty close without having to resort to food dye.
I used the Vitamix Explorian E310 and the narrow-bodied 48oz container that came with it. It was the perfect size to make two of these beauts. (If you’re using a low-profile 64-oz, 1.5x the recipe.)
Now we got fancy with this thing. I mean, we run a food blog…
So we topped it with soy whip, chocolate shavings, and a cherry.
But you certainly do not have to. It’s great as it is.
One last thought: I understand cupcake cravings. Sometimes it’s the only thing that will hit the spot.
But this milkshake is a pretty darn good substitute.
Make it for someone you love tomorrow morning. Because why not make someone feel special the moment they wake up?
Here it is. Your red velvet shake.
Also great as a smoothie bowl!
We topped with chia seeds, shredded coconut, raisins, strawberry chocolate granola, and frozen raspberries. Now that’s a special breakfast!
Go make it!
An old bakery treat in dairy-free milkshake form
- vanilla almond milk (unsweetened) - 1.5 cups (360ml)
- vanilla extract - 1 tsp. (5ml)
- cocoa powder - 2 Tbsp. (30ml)
- rolled oats - 1/4 cup (60ml)
- banana (peeled & frozen) - 1 whole
- cherries (frozen) - 1 cup (240ml) (154 g)
- ice - 1 cup
- (optional) protein powder - 1 scoop
- Place all ingredients into Vitamix container
- Blend on high for 30-60 seconds (or use “Smoothie” program)
- Pour into large glass
- Top with dairy-free whip (recipe in Strawberry Shortcake post) and shaved chocolate
- Snap a pic and tag #lifeisNOYOKE
Useful tips for Red Velvet Shake
If cherries are in season, use fresh ones. Just make sure to pit them first.
You want this shake to be thick, don’t overblend. Use the tamper to push the frozen ingredients into the blade if necessary.
SUPPORT = 💚
Life is NOYOKE takes us hundreds of hours every month to create and maintain.
If you appreciate what we do, please consider supporting our work by using our referral links to make purchases. It’s free for you and every bit helps.