An easy, healthy, and quick homemade hummus for your Vitamix
There’s a tomato basil hummus from Trader Joe’s that we absolutely love. We get it every grocery run.
So we thought why not try to make our own at home. A sun-dried tomato basil hummus that’s:
- Healthier (because we have more control over the ingredients!).
So we did. And it was delicious.
Now before we get to the recipe, here’s why we’re so excited about this hummus.
Hummus-free for two weeks
We were on break for the last two weeks. If you missed it, here’s our Q3 2016 update.
Needless to say, we ate out a lot.
It was quite the ride. And, it’s summed up nicely by the picture below.
Anyway, we are back and excited to eat clean again. Let’s start with this new hummus.
Other Noteworthy Versions
Useful tips for Sun-dried tomato basil hummus
Basically, this recipe is basic. But it photographed well, so we have several tips. 🙂
Buy sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil (we're gonna use it) at your local grocery store.
The oil has a great flavor (and smell, oy).
This is a perfect Vitamix recipe, but a food processor will work, too.
Just because it's a savory recipe doesn't mean you can't lick the spoon!
This sun dried tomato was not packed it oil. It's sole purpose is for garnish. Skip this unless you're fancy.
You cannot go wrong with tomatoey, basil-y hummus recipe.
- chickpeas - 2 15oz cans
- sun dried tomatoes in oil - 1 8 oz jar
- lemon - 1/4 fruit
- basil - 8 leaves
- tahini - 1/2 cup
- salt - 1/4 tsp
- olive oil (optional) - 1-4 Tbsp
1. Drain one can of chickpeas and add to Vitamix container
2. Leave second can of chickpeas undrained, add to container
3. Add entire contents of sun dried tomato jar including oil
4. Remove the rind from the lemon
5. Add lemon, basil, tahini and salt to the container
6. Ramp from variable speed 1 to 10 and blend on high for 3-4 minutes
7. Use the tamper to push ingredients from the corners into the blade
8. If you like a smoother consistency, add 1-4 Tbsp of olive oil halfway through
9. Stop when desired texture is achieved
10. Snap a pic and tag #lifeisnoyoke