Albacore Tuna Steaks: A Rich Man’s Canned Tuna
Albacore Tuna Steaks are available in many grocery stores’ freezers. They’re appealing because they’re easy and quick to make. Assuming you don’t eat it every day, they’re pretty healthy. They’re full of protein and only have a little bit of fat, most of which is the good kind.
Albacore Tuna Steaks are good because they’re fish. Hardly any saturated fat, good protein source, etc. But like any fish, you should be mindful of mercury levels. This is especially true if you’re pregnant or may become pregnant.
The nice thing about Albacore Tuna Steaks, unlike canned tuna, is that you can actually cook it rare. Or medium rare. Unlike canned tuna, all of which comes well done.
Our Albacore Tuna Steak Recipe
Albacore Tuna Steak is best cooked completely thawed. It takes little less time to cook than Ahi Tuna. About 2-3 minutes on each side on medium heat for medium-rare is perfect. Salt, pepper, lemon pepper and extra virgin olive oil is all you need.
Another good thing about cooking Albacore Tuna Steaks, is that you can make a lot at once. It’s easy to make the whole one pound package without any extra work. Throw a refrigerated leftover piece in a salad or just eat it on its own.
Save or print to add this to your recipe box.
Easy Albacore Tuna Steak Recipe
- albacore tuna steak
- lemon pepper
- extra virgin olive oil
- Add defrosted albacore tuna steak to medium hot fry pan (greased with extra virgin olive oil).
- Add salt, pepper, lemon pepper to fish. Rub a little e.v.o.o on the tuna.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side for medium rare. Add one minute for medium.
- Serve with a healthy sauce, something like Garlic Lime Aioli.
- Be happy
- Don’t over cook it. It cooks really fast. Faster than Ahi Tuna.
- Nutrition facts based on 3.5 oz servings. Typical frozen packs from Trader Joe’s come with four or five 3.5 oz servings.
- In reality, most people will want at least two of these little 3.5 oz servings