The protein shake that kept me happy, healthy and strong this past winter
(Originally posted April 2, 2014)
It seemed like the winter that would never end. Mountains of snow. Non-stop wind. Frigid temps (thank you, Polar Vortex). To stay happy, healthy and strong, I often made this: A protein shake recipe for your Vitamix I’m calling the Chiberia Chiller.
Life in Chiberia
Winter in Chicago was freezing this year. Yes, it’s always freezing here. But thanks to the Polar Vortex, it was one of the worst winters of all time.
Residents compared life in Chicago to Siberia. They called it Chiberia.
Many days, it was impossible to get to the grocery store. Many times, my SAD was so bad, I just needed to eat something rad (rhyme intended).
Like a DQ Blizzard
This drink was the best part of my 2013-2014 winter in Chicago.
When I drank it, I became:
- Energized by all the protein.
- Motivated by the awesomeness I had created.
- Comforted by its similar taste to a DQ Chocolate Blizzard.
Keep in mind, this isn’t the best shake for weight loss. But, there’s enough good stuff in it that you certainly won’t be set back. It’s dairy-free, has no added sugar and is loaded with all-natural protein.
I’m so thrilled to share the Chiberia Chiller with you. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did (and still do).
We received a comment from a reader, April, asking why there were egg whites in this smoothie.
Yup. Time to veganize this one.
It turns out this drink is almost identical to the new noyoke shake. A few extra raw almonds is the only difference.
But hey, this one’s got a great name and good story. A story that I can relate to as I’m updating this post. Currently in Chicago:
- It’s feels like 3 degrees fahrenheit.
- Which is the same as -16 C.
- Which means my toes are freezing despite wearing wool socks and a stocking hat.
Here’s the updated Chiberia Chiller.
And, oh while we’re at it, how about some new pics?
Here’s the original:
Okay, here’s a new image that better depicts our winters in Chicago.
Good thing we’re Hawaii bound for the next few months!
Okay, for you that follow our Pinterest, here’s a tall one:
Useful tips for Chiberia chiller
You can see this shake is thick. That's thanks to the frozen banana.
Don't be afraid to use the tamper a tiny bit to get all that frozen banana into the blades.
But if you do follow recipes exactly, it should be as thick as you can get it without needing help from the tamper.
A chocolate shake with a little something extra. So, so good.
- almond milk - 1 cup (240 mL)
- oats - 1/4 cup (22 g)
- peanut butter - 1 Tbsp. (16 g)
- cocoa powder - 1 Tbsp. (7 g)
- frozen banana - 1 whole
- protein powder - 1 scoop (30 g)
- ice - 1/2 cup (105 g)
- (optional) raw almonds - 1/8 cup (12 g)
- (optional) flaxseed - 1 pinch to taste
- (optional) dates for sweetness - the protein powrder we use has some stevia, so we don't add extra sweetener
- Throw ingredients into your blender.
- Blend on high for 60 seconds.
- Snap a pic and tag #lifeisNOYOKE.
- Be happy.
NOTE: We are still working on recipe instructions using the metric system. If you have any feedback on our conversations, style, etc, please let us know.