This is a dang good lentil soup recipe
Lentil soup is definitely not sexy.
In fact, it’s pretty ugly.
But this easy, vegan lentil soup recipe doesn’t need to be sexy. It’s just dang good.
Lentil soup -- bona fide comfort food?
I use lentil soup like a hug from my mom.
Let me explain.
Everyone knows that visiting the dentist is NOT fun. Even routine cleanings are uncomfortable.
So my reward for getting my
gums prodded teeth cleaned? A trip to our local Mediterranean joint, Sultan’s, for a big bowl of lentil soup. It’s:
- Filling (in a good way).
Plain and simple, it’s comforting.
Now, lentil soup is not always made dairy-free. But since we keep our Vitamix vegan, this blender-finished soup definitely is.
Go make a batch of this lentil soup today!
Other Noteworthy Versions
Easy and hearty vegan lentil soup.Carrots, Celery, Cumin, Lentils, Onion, Tomatoes, Vegetable Broth,
- olive oil - 1 Tbsp.
- onion - 1/2 cup chopped
- celery - 1/2 cup chopped
- carrot - 1/2 cup chopped
- salt - 1 tsp.
- lentils - 1/2 lb. (8 oz) rinsed
- tomatoes - 1/2 cup chopped
- vegetable broth - 1 quart
- cumin - 1 tsp.
- thyme (optional) - 1/4 tsp.
- cardamom (optional) - 1/4 tsp.
- curry (optional) - 1/4 tsp.
- Add olive oil to a large pot and heat
- Once heated add chopped onions, carrots, celery, and salt
- Cook for 8 minutes (or until onions are translucent)
- Add lentils, tomatoes, vegetable broth, and spices
- Bring to a boil
- Cover, reduce heat, and cook for 30-40 min (until lentils are tender)
- Let your mixture cool for 15 min (safe, but optional)
- Add 2/3 of the mixture to your Vitamix
- Blend on low for 10 seconds
- Pour half of what you blended back into the pot with the unblended mixture
- Reblend what is left in the container on high for another 10-15 seconds until smooth
- Add double-blended mixture back to the pot (you should have 3 textures)
- Snap a picture and tag #lifeisnoyoke
Useful tips for Lentil soup
Cumin is the main spice used in this recipe. You can vary the supporting spices based on what you have in your pantry. Coriander, oregano, red pepper flakes, etc.
Some restaurants serve lentil soup fully blended, some not blended at all. Around here we like varying textures (hence our instructions) but the texture is up to you!
If you're in a hurry, don't wait for the soup to cool before blending. That step is purely for safety reasons, your Vitamix can handle the heat.
Garnish with something colorful, lentil soup is not the most appetizing even though it's delicious!