Comfort food made vegan, beginning with your Vitamix
This might actually be the best thing I’ve ever made.
It’s creamy and hearty and full of flavor. It somehow warms your soul.
One pot, one blender, one very happy family. Make this creamy wild rice soup tonight, it’s an instant classic.
Experimenting with vegan "creaminess"
Creamy is kind of a difficult texture to create without using cream. But it’s not impossible.
The more you do it, the better you get at making vegan dishes that don’t leave you missing dairy. Since veganizing our household and website, we’ve had to get pretty creative.
To get “creamy” we’ve used tofu as a thickener for our vegan tzatziki and balsamic butternut squash soup. Cashews for our cashew queso and cauliflower soup. And most recently, we’ve been dabbling with Cannellini beans which were featured in our Thanksgiving vegan loaf.
Using some of the things we’ve learned from previous kitchen experiments, we feel like we’ve hit the jackpot recreating this comfort food classic.
Our favorite childhood soup
Lenny and I grew up in neighboring Minneapolis suburbs but didn’t officially meet until adulthood in Chicago. Occasionally we’ll have one of those strange conversations where it’s clear we likely crossed paths. In this case, it would have been at Byerly’s… the local high-end grocery store.
Why would we both be there? Well, both of us were too poor growing up to actually shop for groceries there.
But as a treat, we’d make a special trip for their most delicious, pre-made soup: Chicken wild rice soup.
This soup tastes like childhood. Minnesota is freezing and this soup is the definition of comfort food.
Now that we’re married, and eat mostly vegan, we took on the challenge of making this soup dairy (and chicken) free.
And I must say, we killed it! So, so, so, so, so, so, so good.
We used our Vitamix to create the perfect texture. We used our memories to create the perfect flavor.
This soup was consumed for both lunch and dinner and we just added wild rice back onto our grocery list. It’s one of those recipes you cannot wait to make again.
Start boiling some broth right now. You’ll have the perfect dinner in under one hour.
One of the best, vegan soups ever
- wild rice - 1 cup (160 g)
- vegetable broth - 64 oz (2 L)
- bay leaves - 2 whole
- dried thyme* - to your taste (we use 1 Tbsp. (4.3 g))
- salt - 2 tsp. (5.69 g) + more to taste
- celery - 4 ribs chopped
- carrots - 1 cup chopped (128 g)
- onion - 1/2 whole chopped
- garlic - 4-6 cloves chopped
- mushrooms - 8 oz chopped (225 g)
- cashews (raw/unsalted) - 1 cup soaked (125 g)
- cannellini (white kidney) beans - 15 oz can (425 g)
- Soak cashews overnight if possible
- If not, soak in boiling water as soon as you see this, the longer the better
- Pour 1 cup (8 oz) of broth in a small bowl to the side
- Heat the rest of the vegetable broth in large pot on medium heat
- Rinse and drain your wild rice
- Add wild rice, thyme, bay leaves, and salt to your hot vegetable broth
- Place lid on pot and set a 30 min timer
- Chop celery, carrots, onion, and garlic
- Put in pot w/broth, replace lid
- Chop mushrooms, reserve on side
- Drain soaked cashews and the liquid from the cannellini beans
- Place cashews & beans in Vitamix container
- Add reserved cup of vegetable broth
- Blend on high for 1-2 minutes until smooth
- When your timer goes off, add the creamy Vitamix mixture to your pot
- Add the chopped mushrooms
- Replace lid
- Set timer for 15 more min
- When timer goes off, check if wild rice is done (should be a bit chewy)
- Remove bay leaves
- Serve piping hot out of the pot
- Snap a pic and tag #lifeisNOYOKE
Useful tips for Creamy Vegan Wild Rice Soup
We blended white kidney beans, soaked cashews, and vegetable broth to create the creamy base of the soup. Fun fact: this is the first Vitamix recipe we've made where the blending happened before cooking (instead of after or during).
This soup is filling and rich. Before you ladle up a giant bowl, make yourself a mugs-worth. It catches up to you quick!
And if you're feeling up to it, serve it with this easy vegan cornbread.
SUPPORT = 💚
Life is NOYOKE takes us hundreds of hours every month to create and maintain.
If you appreciate what we do, please consider supporting our work by using our referral links to make purchases. It’s free for you and every bit helps.